Picturedrome celebrates 100 Years
Updated: Apr 11
On the 9 Janaury 2020 the Bognor Regis Picturedrome celebrated 100 years as a cinema, with a fabulous Black Tie event...
Here's an overview of the evening: - two spotlight light beams could be seen for miles
-local dignitaries and industry people arrived in their finery
-via red carpet we were taken in through a secret entrance, we were greeted and had photos taken with 'Marilyn Monroe' and 'Charlie Chaplin'.
- the entrance took us straight through to the newest screen 2 where there was a champagne fountain and could listen to the Centenary Jazz Quartet.
- carrying on through to the new foyer where the previous popcorn bar had been transformed into a cocktail bar.
- this foyer housed displays of historic Cinema ephemera.
- the display continued along the walkway behind screen 1.
- buffet food available at various points, and in the main foyer was a chocolate fountain and cake.
- In screen 1, welcomed by John Mann playing the organ, a recent acquisition by the cinema.
- the programme started with an introduction presided over by MC Nick Stuart-Nicholson.
- Local historian Sylvia Endacott gave an illustrated presentation on the history of the building 135 years, and the cinema 100 years.
-Adam Cunard who owns and operates the cienma said a few words, and then with MP Nick Gibb unveiled the plaque
-the cake was wheeled in and Marilyn Sang happy birthday.
- These last two activities were filmed and live relayed to screen.
- In the interval we were served champagne and the chains; new range of vegan ice creams (Adam said first chain to be stocking them)
- John Mann entertained again. Think they said he is now in his 80s and had been playing for approx 60 years.
-after the interval there was a Pathe newsreel and classic cinema ads
- then a screening of the wonderful British film The Smallest Show on Earth, on 35mm
-the film was followed by national anthem to a glorious colour film of queen's coronation.
-the evening end and it was time to pick up photos taken with Marilyn and Charlie and a goody bag which included a centenary mug and a slice of cake.
Read the write up on spirit fm...